The Notre Dame Environmental Change Initiative is pleased to continue the growth of the postdoctoral community under the broad umbrella of environmental change, through our Partial Postdoctoral Fellowship Program with new 2023 Special Joint Calls.
ND-ECI PARTIAL POSTDOCTORAL FELLOWSHIP PROGRAM
The goal of the ND-ECI Partial Postdoctoral Fellowship (PPF) program is to support postdoctoral research and scholarship that helps grow collaborative bridges between science, engineering, social sciences and humanities through interdisciplinary training. ND-ECI currently houses a “Postdoc Supergroup” and with the PPF funding opportunity, we will continue to expand this engagement.
We invite applications that would take advantage of a cost-share model to maximize this group of scholars! All proposed research conducted by PPF Scholars must synergize with the research of an ND-ECI Affiliated Faculty Member who will act as the primary postdoctoral mentor.
NEW IN 2023! SPECIAL JOINT CALLS:
In addition to our normal PPF call, ND-ECI is partnering to offer two NEW joint postdoctoral funding opportunities:
- Environment & Health: ND-ECI and the Eck Institute for Global Health (EIGH) are inviting applications from outstanding PhDs to pursue research and training focused at the intersection of the environment and global health.
- Environment & Water: ND-ECI and H20@ND welcome applications from outstanding PhDs to advance research and training focused at the intersection of water and environmental change.
Proposals may be submitted by:
- A Notre Dame faculty member who, if awarded, will recruit a postdoctoral fellow to do the described research activities.
- A postdoctoral fellow (current or future) who has communicated with and has the explicit approval a Notre Dame faculty member who will serve as their advisor.
PPF: Postdoctoral Fellows (current and future) must be advised by a full-time ND-ECI-affiliated faculty (i.e., Tenure-track, Research, Professors of the Practice) who are eligible to submit research proposals at the University of Notre Dame.
Joint Calls: Postdoctoral Fellows (current and future) must be advised by a full-time ND-ECI, EIGH or H20@ND-affiliated faculty (i.e., Tenure-track, Research, Professors of the Practice) who are eligible to submit research proposals at the University of Notre Dame.
PPF: Awards of up to 40% of the annual salary and benefits, and up to $1000 for conference travel for eligible applicants for the first year, with an optional second year of funding at 25% of the annual salary and up to $1000 for conference travel.
Joint Calls: Award of 100% of the annual salary and benefits, and up to $1000 for conference travel for eligible applicants for the first year. The fellowship is for one year, with a second-year renewal based on a satisfactory progress review.
The 2023 Partial Postdoctoral Fellowship Program with Special Joint Calls is closed. Please check back in Spring 2024.
The funding duration for the PPF program and Joint Calls is one year, with an option to continue for a second year.
PROPOSAL FORMAT AND SUBMISSION
Total Proposal Length for the PPF Program and Joint Calls: Up to five pages total.
Each proposal much include the following items in the order listed:
- Title, applicant contact information and faculty mentor information.
- Indicate whether you would like to be considered for the PPF Program and/or the Joint Calls.
- Description of research activity and or question to be addressed.
- Importance and potential impact of research activity.
- Approach and methods or other appropriate narrative to describe research activities.
- Goals and mechanisms for translational outcomes, including scholarly products, management/policy, and new proposals.
- Project activity timeline, including deliverables. Please include start and end dates and any interim dates of importance.
- Brief budget details of current funding, and information on salary cost-share.
- Literature cited.
PPF: If successfully funded, the following Terms of Award are required:
- PPF Scholar will work from the ND-ECI interdisciplinary space in Flanner Hall for at least 50% of the work week.
- Participate enthusiastically in ND-ECI seminars and events.
- Resulting proposal submissions routed through NDR will be affiliated with ND-ECI.
- Provide a headshot and bio for use on the ND-ECI website.
Joint Call: If successfully funded, the following Terms of Award are required:
- Scholar will work from the ND-ECI interdisciplinary space in Flanner Hall for at least 50% of the work week.
- Participate enthusiastically in ND-ECI, EIGH and/or H20@ND seminars and events.
- Submit one collaborative proposal between ND-ECI and EIGH or H20@ND, led by the Environment & Health postdoctoral scholar.
- Provide a headshot and bio for use on the ND-ECI and EIGH or H20@ND websites.