The Environmental Change Initiative provides faculty with several opportunities to seed research and promote new, or strengthen existing collaborations in order to extend ND-ECI’s research vision.
Annual ECI Call for Proposals:
- Up to $80,000 available for seeding research & collaborations
- Regular ND faculty from any department are eligible to apply
- View the RFP - Due April, 19, 2017
ND-GAIN Faculty Involvement Grants:
- Up to $100,000 for seeding climate adaptation research & collaboration
- Competitive proposals model the social or physical consequences from climate change under differing conditions of human social adaptation
- RFP closed for 2016 - Stay tuned for future RFP details
- Fall 2016 Receipients: Debra Javeline & Tracy Kijewski-Correa "Coastal Homeowner Adaptation to a Changing Climate: A Study of Risk Awareness, Risk Reduction, and Resilience"
ND-ECI also provides opportunities for postdoctoral researchers, graduate students and undergraduate students through fellowships, stipends, research support, and academic credit.
There are no Post-Doc opportunities at this time. Please check back soon!
ND-GAIN Data Summer Internship
- The student will locate, collect and organize data and will work with the program director, research scientist and data scientist
- Experience with large data sets and data mining is desirable
- Preference will be given to students able to come into the office at Notre Dame during the summer, but remote applicants will also be considered
- Please send a resume and brief cover note to email@example.com by Friday, April 21st. View full description
ND-LEEF Graduate Student Research Grants:
- $1,500 to support research at ND-LEEF (aquatic or terrestrial)
- Research proposals for the 2017 field season are due Friday, March 3rd. View RFP
- For questions about research and funding at ND-LEEF, contact Brett Peters.
The REACT (Rapid Exposure to Advanced Computational Training) Program is designed to support PhD students hoping to gain external training in computational tools and techniques.
- Up to $1,500 to cover student tuition, registration, room and board to attend nationally-recognized workshops that provide the training in the latest computational approaches. REACT does not cover research expenses or travel costs
- The student's advisor/PI must be a member in good standing with either ND-ECI, the Eck Institute for Global Health, or Notre Dame’s Genomics and Bioinformatics Core Facility. Students should check with their advisors if they are unsure
- Applications are considered on a rolling basis and funds will be dispersed until they run out
For more information, visit the REACT website.
ND-ECI Undergraduate Fellowships:
Up to $1,000 for stipend or supplies to support undergraduate environmental change research (land use, climate, biodiversity, hydrology, etc.)
Projects much be developed and executed under ther mentorship of a Notre Dame graduate student, postdoc or faculty member from any department
Project ideas can be submitted throughout the 16-17 academic year. Please email Joanna McNulty with a paragraph description of the project
University of Notre Dame undergraduates are able to participate in research with ECI faculty from a variety of different disciplines for academic credit. Undergraduates interested in participating in research with ECI affiliated faculty should contact the individual faculty member.
Additional environmental student research opportunities: